Located in Pitt County, North Carolina, Staton House Fire Department is one of twenty-one fire departments located in the county.
Our coverage area is 40.65 square miles with a population of 6044 persons. We average 375-425 emergency responses per year.
A total of eight apparatuses are maintained at two stations by our members. Station One houses two engines, one tanker, one rescue, one brush and a general use vehicle. Station two houses one engine and a tanker.
Station Two also is home to our training facility, with a large training room, conditioned with wifi. It also supports our live burn container and soon to have the smoke trainer.
Our ISO insurance rating is a 5/9.
Staton House Community Fire Department Inc., was formed soon after two tragic fires in the area. The burning of the Frank Taylor homeplace on June 8, 1960, and the destruction of a packhouse on the Wadie T Carson farm one week later. Representatives from House Station, Staton's Mill, Mt Pleasant, Parkers Chapel and Johns Town communities met and laid plans to purchase a fire truck and to set up a volunteer fire department on June 21, 1960.
Ed Hemingway was elected President of the Board of Directors, as well as Fire Chief. Twenty men (four from each community) were selected to be volunteer firemen.
A truck financed by public donations was purchased from the state and equipped with a 1200 gallon tank, 100ft of hose, a 100 gallon per minute pump, and a nozzle at the cost of $1900.00. It was decided that the truck would be located at Harry Cooke's Store.
Staton House Fire Department became operational on July 22, 1960, making it the first rural fire department in Pitt County. The first fire call that the newly formed department responded to was a house in the Greenfield Terrace subdivision (Now located in the city limits of Greenville). August of 1961 saw the arrival of a much needed second truck for the organization. This unit was both lighter and faster than the first truck, with an 800 gallon tank and a 100 gallon per minute front-mount pump.
The truck cost the department $2600.00 and was viewed by the members as a symbol of what could be accomplished through inter-community cooperation. It was decided that this truck would be stationed at Howard Forbes Store, allowing a truck to be within approximately 4.5 miles of all members at all times.
June 13, 1963, the first Official Fire Station was built next to Howard Forbes store to house one of the trucks.
The Department's activities were financed by public contributions and an annual BBQ dinner that was a community favorite until it ended in the early 2000's.
Over the next several years, the department continued to grow. The fleet of vehicles had expanded to seven trucks by the early 1970's and to nine trucks by the 1990's. The fleet currently consist of eight units.
In August of 1977, Staton House Fire Department moved into it's current main station and has continued to thrive with the help and support of the communities that it proudly serves.
Our organization - like many others in the fire service depend on the people of our district to volunteer their time.
If you are interested in volunteering, contact us at (252) 752-3879 or come by the main station at 2501 N Memorial Dr, Greenville, NC, and get to know the men and women of the department.